Taipei Zoo was founded in 1914 as a private zoological garden while Taiwan was still under Japanese rule. After World War II, its ownership was passed to Taipei City Government. Due to the need for expansion and better welfare for the animals, the zoo was moved from the Yuanshan area to its current site with a total area of 165 hectares in Muzha in the southeastern suburb of Taipei City in 1986. The establishment of the new zoo in Muzha included four main functions, namely education, research, conservation, and recreation. With the support from the Taipei city government, Taipei Zoo has transformed into one of the quality city zoos that is well received and affirmed by the world. Taipei Zoo is one of the nation’s most popular attractions, drawing about 3 million visitors every year, making the zoo a great potential to conduct conservation education. By working with universities and research institutes, government agencies, zoos and aquariums, and conservation NGOs around the globe, Taipei Zoo has devoted itself to the conservation of endangered wildlife.